torsdag den 28. januar 2016

"His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman



Title: His Dark Materials (Book 1: Northern Lights. Book 2: The Subtle Knife. Book 3: The Amber Spyglass)
Author: Philip Pullman
Publication Year: 2000
Pages: 1102
My Rating: 4/5 stars

This is the story of Lyra, a 13-year-old girl who goes to Jordan College in an alternate universe where everyone has a dœmon. One day, Lyra and her demon Pan hide in the cupboard and overhear a very important conversation between her Lyra's uncle and the professors at the college. Things go on from there, and Lyra is quickly thrown into an adventure containing polar bears, magic, dust and an alethiometer.

Great fantasy, amazing story! I think of all three books, I loved the first one "Northern Lights" the most because it introduced me to this amazing world, and it felt the most wintry to me with its polar bears, snow and magic. That being said, the two other books, "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass", were really good as well, and especially the second book kept my interest peaked.

This is one of those series that is written for children on the surface, but that is highly relevant and readable for adults as well as it contains layer upon layer of meaning and symbolism. I'm sure that you can read this trilogy again and again and still constantly discover new things - I certainly felt like a was missing out on a lot while reading just because so many things happened, and I knew there was more to them than what I realized. I was constantly surprised at how intricate this series is and how relevant it is to everyone in our world. It might be fantasy, but it is definitely true as well!

"His Dark Materials" is a children's classic and I'm obviously not a child anymore. But still, I'm very happy that I finally got around to reading this trilogy that so many people hold close to their hearts.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar