fredag den 5. februar 2016

"The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers



Title: The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet
Author: Becky Chambers
Publication Year: 2014
Pages: 404
My Rating: 5/5 stars

"The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" is the first installment of The Wayfarers series which takes place in space. In this particular novel, we are introduced to Rosemary who has been hired to work as a clerk on the Wayfarers spaceship. On this ship, she meets a cast of characters who come from different species and planets, and gradually we are introduced to a futuristic world where things are turned upside down and different species work together in space. 

I didn't expect much when picking up this novel, simply because I'm not much of a sci-fi reader and I rarely enjoy the genre. However, this book was close to perfection. It's funny, it's sassy, it's intriguing and it has some of the best characters I've ever read about. Their dynamics worked amazingly well, and their humorous and quirky personalities amazed me time and time again. 

Furthermore, this novel contains so many deep topics and underlying messages that I wholly agreed with and that increased my love for the story even more. Everything is built on the word 'acceptance' - accepting everyone for who they are and what they look like. This sci-fi world is definitely futuristic and hard to comprehend, but it was so cool as well! 

Funnily enough, this story actually reminded me a lot of "The Book of Strange New Things" by Michel Faber which I read and loved last year, even though the two novels are quite different and unique in their own ways. However, I dare say that if you read Michel Faber's book last year and liked it, you might like this one as well. I, for one, was very impressed and I'm thrilled that there's a sequel coming out on October this year, because I'll definitely be picking that one up.


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar